Wednesday, February 8, 2012
1. Adequate battery bank We have 3 group 27 batteries for the house bank and one group 24 deep cycle for starting with a automatic charging relay between them.
2. Solar Panel Ours is a 130 watt Kyocera panel with a Blue sky MPPT solar controller. I would like 1 more panel!
3. Wind Generator. We have the Air Breeze wind generator. it does have as high of an output as the AIR-X but it starts charging in lower wind speeds and is self regulating.
4. Anchor windlass. We have a Lewmar PF 700 as that is what would fit on our boat. It is so nice to push a button to raise the anchor.
5. washdown pump. As you raise the anchor and Muddy rode it is indispensable to clean them for storage before your anchor locker is full of mud.
6. Good anchor and backup. I have a Manson Supreme with 200' of chain and 200' of 3 strand for my main anchor and a Lewmar Delta with 25'of chain and 250' of three strand for a backup. ( I have never had it all out but I sleep well )
7. Dock Lines At least 6 long dock lines and a couple of spring lines if your are taking a dock as you will be tying to pilings and not side tied to a floating dock.
8. Dinghy !! Your dinghy will be your taxi and main transportation while cruising. A hard bottom dinghy is preferable as it tracks better, won't abrade through when you drag it ashore on beaches and coral. You also need an outboard large enough to move it along.
9. External WIFI antenna. We have a ALFA WIFI USB antenna ( $40. ) that will pick up a signal in most anchorages. There is some free WIFI , but you may have to pay to log on. Some marinas have free WIFI but not all.
10. Engel Freezer It is nice to have Ice, freeze extra fish, lobster and frozen meat.
11. Watermaker. We have a Spectra 150 It is not a necessity but it makes our life much easier for us, we do not have to carry extra water on deck, haul water when anchored out, and skimp on showers.
12. Pressure cooker. Helps to reduce fuel usage while cooking and tenderizes tougher cuts of meat.
13. Extra containers for fuel and water on deck with a way to lash them down.
14. Racor 500 fuel filter with plenty of spares and biocide for suspect fuel.
15. Oil change pump, plenty of spare oil and filters.
16. Honda 2000 Generator. Great to have so you don't have to run the engine at anchor when wind and sun don't keep up with the demand . Also will run water heater for hot showers and small appliances.
A fellow Cruiser Tom on Dreamcatcher has some great tips and a good gear list and links. Here is a link to his blog;