Saturday, October 15, 2011

Break from the I.C.W.

Today we pulled into Fort Pierce Marina,not a graceful landing as we are in a slip for big boats and took a lot of maneuvering to get ropes set, it's so much easier to anchor out. Today the waterway was very choppy but we got to use the sail for two days in a row. It is now time to get a load of junk off the boat,everything not used in the past year gets taken to our trailer in Lake Wales and sorted. We fly to Seattle Nov 1st for our daughter's wedding and I am ready for a little land life. This I.C.W. Trip was full of rain and a lot less relaxing with a need to get here and not enough time to stop and sightsee. I hope to stay somewhere south next summer and then enjoy the sailing.  I really wanted to scream at Skipper Bob (but he is dead) His beloved anchorage guidebook made us go aground twice in one day. With all the copies sold they could pay Sea tow to actually measure depth yearly,we only draw 4 1/2 feet and went aground as soon as we tried to enter and not at low tide. Fortunately our little engine pulled us out after much coaxing and white knuckles. These anchorages were at mile 785.2 and 786.2.  We found a great anchorage outside of Fort Matanzas. It was deep,peaceful with dolphins and fish jumping all around.  This stretch was full of bridges but mostly 65 feet so few slowdowns. With sun shining it is a joy to meander down the scenic I.C.W. But bad weather can make for long days.  I was promised a special restaurant meal tonight,lots of on board meals prepared this trip. As we cleaned up and strolled up to the marina restaurant I spied the "closed for renovation" sign. He owes me that meal tomorrow.

No comments: